Internal whitening for endodontically treated teeth

Do you want to enhance your teeth?
May 10, 2017
Importance and benefits of Dental Sealants
June 14, 2017
Show all


Opalescence endo


With today’s most modern bleaching agents, we are able to offer more successful and predictable treatments. The dark and non-vital tooth can be bleached both internally and externally to look as natural as any other neighbor tooth. The outcome is not always perfect, but we save more of the tooth’s structure than other treatments. Moreover, you will have more treatment options next time in the future.


During an endo-whitening procedure we use 35% hydrogen peroxide, which is specially formulated for the bleaching technique. We use it for endodontically treated teeth, which are internally discolored.


What is done during the procedure?


During the procedure, the biggest aim is not to place bleaching material below the alveolar crest bone and to seal the obturating material to protect the endodontic seal.


Firstly, we examine the radiograph. This allows us to determine the length of the apical endodontic seal and height of the alveolar crest bone.


Next, the dentist will explain and tell you everything about the procedure, its risks and aesthetic limits.


Aftewards, the filling material will be removed. It is necessary to remove it to allow bleaching material to make contact with internal tooth structures in order to reach the best result possible.


Next, it will be sealed with a glass ionomer (1-2 mm thickness). The access opening will be sealed with a non-eugenol material. Last but not least, the occlusion would be checked-up and corrected if necessary.


The procedure must be repeated every 3 to 5 days until the desired color is reached.


You can get your tooth restored with permanent fillings only after 8-10 days when the shade of the tooth stabilizes.




  • It is recommended to slightly over-bleach the tooth because after a couple of days the whiteness will regress a little bit.
  • If you have an allergy to carbopol, glycerin or peroxide – then you shouldn’t do this treatment.
  • Be careful not to swallow gel, because it can be very harmful.
  • Keep the material away from soft tissues.
  • Communicate with your doctor for a better understanding of what your expectations should be for this procedure.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *